2009년 4월 22일 수요일

[Vol.19] men’s beauty – how high is its position up in Gwanak?

Television might praise beautiful men. Some might scoff at “sissies” who are willing to skip breakfast to look at the mirror once more. That’s all very fine, but what do SNU think about this fever that is swiping through the society?

The Quill asked users of SNUlife, online community of SNU students, for their opinion about men’s beauty syndrome. Find out what your colleagues think.


*Following was extracted and translated from replies of article number 6968366 and 7026949 of SNUlife Gongsage (http://www.snulife.com/gongsage), through March 15th to April 3rd.


What do you think of men showing interest about how they look? It does not matter whether you are a woman aghast about men knowing much more about fashion than you do, or a man uncomfortable about this trend. Neither does it matter whether it is a response to men inside SNU who care about their looks, or prediction about where this phenomenon will end up. Please tell the SNU Quill what YOU think.

3. (Dinosaur)
Not interested in self-management or whatever, and
bleached hair+ ear piercing + face pale from makeup + red lips + skinny jeans + high-top shoes + big bag = gay-esque
Lack of any element mentioned above + they look awkward on him= a bit gay-esque
Lack of any element mentioned above + they look quite good on him= pretty much gay-esque.

4. (Sparrow)
So you mean all the men who care about how they look are gay? Personally I find men who have style much more attractive than those with flakey faces who carry backpacks with their shirts tucked inside their pants. Driving all of them as gay seems like a conclusion that is way too generalized, and it hints a sense of inferiority…….
Anyway, I am all enthusiasm about this phenomenon. Considering the money, time and effort we women put into ourselves, what men are doing now is still far from being sufficient.

12. (Grasshopper)
I am little taller than average, sometimes use slipsoles to heighten my height, and apply BB cream when I go out. Sports center, hair salon, and cloth shopping takes up a certain part of my life. Wow, things listed above make me sound like a guy who extremely cares about adorning. But wouldn’t it be better to keep oneself neat and clean as possible, if what we are born with is insufficient?

13. (Kangaroo)
Oh, if I only had time and money.

15. (Butterfly)
I’m a woman, and I prefer men who know how to adorn themselves without being too showy, like a swan waddles under water where we cannot see. Saying out loud things like “this product is better for skin” or “the clothes of this brand are….” is unattractive. Plus, I really wish men would not copy stars such as Bigbang or Jo Inseong under the title of “grooming.” Style that fits oneself, age, and circumstances is the truly stylish thing.

17. (Hummingbird)
I believe (I’m a man) one should be able to dress up to match the TPO at minimum, though that kind of sensibility is not something that can be gained overnight. Considering the overall style and mood even at choosing small things such as shirts or a pair of shoes, and gradually visualizing one’s ideal self image, would be the only possible way to gain it (and help is not that hard to get, actually.) It won’t be easy, but I really hope students would at least refrain from dressing up as if they are intended to pull out “hey, the way he dressed is so SNU student.” from others. Being confident while facing others and oneself would be the prerequisite, of course.

19. (Dark chub)
I used to be a man who was not even a bit interested the way I look or fashion so far, but I started to put a lot of effort into it recently. It occurred to me that I might never be able to be in romantic relationship with anyone for the rest of my life, as long as I keep on going like this. The concept that “women should wear makeup, but men does not need to” Is only a legacy of old, considering this concept premises women being at the position of being chosen (and therefore should adorn themselves as much as possible), and men having the privilege of choice. Since the social standard of men and women are changing, would not men should be caring about their looks as well?

Even with all this aside, people who care about themselves as far as they can simply look good. I also want to look so in others’ eyes, at least to those who care for me, and that is what drives me to look back once more at myself (but why, oh why does not my fashion sense improve?)


written by. Jo Eunsan

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기